The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government.
The Forests and Climate Change Program (FORCLIME) in cooperation with the sectoral Program Sustainable Agricultural Value Chains and Standards supports the Government of Indonesia in their endeavor to mitigate the effects of climate change through forestry sector reform and biodiversity conservation and as a new intervention area on the establishment of sustainable agricultural value chains to reduce deforestation, caused by agricultural commodities. Pilot activities are being supported in the district of Kapuas Hulu, where a jurisdictional sustainable value chain initiative has been initiated by the district government. The initiative is supported by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ (German International Cooperation) with the district government and the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry as the current Programme Executing Agency.
The Programme's overall objective is to improve forest protection while enhancing the livelihoods of rural communities and establish verifiable agricultural value chains from sustainable production in Kapuas Hulu up to the final export market. To achieve this goal, the Programm team assists the Indonesian Government in designing and implementing legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation of forests and the development of sustainable agricultural value chains, at local, provincial and national level. The support for sustainable agricultural practices and the traceability along the value chains towards the European markets are a new feature of the Programme, providing decision-makers with valuable experience of i.e. how the ISPO process could be implemented "on the ground".
We seek a qualified Indonesian candidate for:
Provincial Agricultural Coordinator West Kalimantan and Technical Advisor for Sustainable Agricultural Value Chains
The Provincial Agricultural Coordinator West Kalimantan and Technical Advisor on Sustainable Agricultural Value Chains contribute to the overall objectives of the FORCLIME programme and the upcoming Value chain project. In that context, he/she will be engaged in supporting the development of a sustainable agricultural value chain from Kapuas Hulu to Europe within the processes at regional and local level and feed information from the field to the national level discussion. The position is based in Pontianak and focuses on local level implementation both at provincial level as well as in Kapuas Hulu district. Responsibilities include:
- Contributing to the achievement of targets and activities within a Jurisdictional approach to develop a sustainable agricultural value chain for Kapuas Hulu district
- Maintaining close working relationships with relevant implementing agencies, private sector and other relevant stakeholders in West Kalimantan and Kapuas Hulu district to support the development of sustainable value chains, with special focus towards developing a multi-stakeholder platform for the initiative in Kapuas Hulu.
- Providing professional advice and input with reference to sustainable agriculture (e.g concerning especially, but not exclusively, natural rubber, palm oil or cocoa), development and operationalization of supply chains including trace-ability schemes and cooperating with a broad range of stakeholders. This includes the preparation of work plans, monitoring and evaluation, publications and written reports on project results
- Contributing to capacity development processes in the plantation sector in West Kalimantan at provincial level, as well as in Kapuas Hulu district.
- Collaborate actively with private sector partners based in Pontianak or Kapuas Hulu.
- Coordinating GIZ activities for the Sustainable Agricultural Value Chain project at provincial and district level between the agencies, and coordinate with the FORCLIME provincial coordinator for Sustainable Forest Management.
The technical professional performs the following tasks:
1. Management & Coordination
- Supports the management and administration of FORCLIME Programme activities in West Kalimantan and in Kapuas Hulu in adherence to GIZ policies and procedures
- Contributes to strategic and annual planning at the Programme and Strategic Area level, and contributes to regular updating of concepts and strategies
- Supports M&E of FORCLIME activities in West Kalimantan and contributes to conceptual adjustment where appropriate, using GIZ M&E tools such as Capacity Works where relevant for the management of the component
- Coordinates and prioritises relevant Programme activities at district and provincial level in close cooperation with relevant partners, including with the private sector in regard to the organisational preparation as well as the implementation of the activities
- Takes appropriate measures to ensure smooth operation of the programme at provincial and district level
2. Professional advisory services
- Cooperates with private sector, national agencies, provincial and district agencies to ensure the development process for a jurisdictional sustainable value chain initiative in Kapuas Hulu, including processes such as development of a steering structure, HCVF mapping, traceability systems, agricultural extension, tenure rights and development of incentive schemes
- Supports participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation processes involving local farmers and develops concepts for extension service provision for local communities under the evolving system
- Assists in identifying needs for capacity development (including system/policy level, organizational and individual level) at the provincial level and in Kapuas Hulu in line with programme objectives
- Brings in actively new partners from both private sector and civil society.
- Supports capacity building for budget planning and monitoring of budget lines and expenditures at the province and district level
- Plans and facilitates relevant workshops, training activities, seminars, etc. for implementation of FORCLIME activities
- Supports activities of FORCLIME TC – FC partners in implementing and monitoring planned activities related to sustainable agricultural value chains
- Contributes to continuous updating of FORCLIME strategic action plans, operational plans and annual work plans according to work progress, requirements of the Ministry of Environment and Forestry and developments in the Indonesian agricultural sector
- Contributes to continuous synchronization of FORCLIME intervention with the Sector Programme on Sustainable Value chains
3. Networking and cooperation
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; and cooperates with private sector, local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- Communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of FORCLIME;
- Liaises with staff and implementers of other donors activities in West Kalimantan and identifies cooperation areas and synergies;
4. Knowledge management
- Compiles relevant information on the topic of agriculture and plantation sector as well as private sector engagement and ensures knowledge transfer including lessons learned documentation
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Assists with research activities and studies on agricultural policy issues which benefit joint programmes.
5. Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Undertakes frequent visits to the Kapuas Hulu district to ensure partner activities are proceeding as planned
- Supports the provision of logistics for GIZ staff and visitors;
- Accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- At least Bachelor degree in an area that is related to the programme objectives, with a focus on a relevant field;
- Experience in community development;
- Experience with the private sector;
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position;
- Existing working relations with West Kalimantan Agricultural officials in Pontianak and in Kapuas Hulu;
- Forestry and Agriculture background
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong managerial and organisational competence;
- Willingness to travel regularly;
- Good Knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia;
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- Intimate local knowledge about Pontianak and Kapuas Hulu;
- Good facilitation skills and communication skills;
- Able to work independently and with limited resources or support.
Duty Station: Pontianak, West Kalimantan
Direct Supervisor: Programme Director
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: FORCLIME – Advisor PACWK
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Putra Pangeran_CV or Putra Pangeran_Motivation Letter or Putra Pangeran_Reference)